Multisectoral Round Table Discussion/s (RTDs) For The Development Of Framework Relevant To Biodiversity-friendly Agricultural Practices (BDFAP) And Agrobiodiversity
The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR)- Biodiversity Management Bureau (BMB) and UNDP Biodiversity Finance Initiative (BIOFIN), in collaboration with the Department of Agriculture (DA), conducted a face-to-face Multisectoral Round-Table Discussion on 22 September 2022 in Baguio City with more than 40 representatives from DA, DENR, concerned local government units, academic institutions and civil society. The said undertaking was the last stretch for this year’s multi-stakeholder dialogue and collaborative analysis with key Offices and partners for the development of framework of action for Biodiversity-Friendly Agricultural Practices (BDFAP) and Agrobiodiversity.
Three Major Programs
Protected Area Development and Management
This Program covers the main in-situ measures to conserve biodiversity within and adjacent to protected areas pursuant to Republic Act 7586 or the National Integrate Protected Areas System (NIPAS) Act of 1992 as amended by Republic Act 11038 or the Expanded NIPAS (ENIPAS) Act f 2018. The passage also led to the legislation of additional 94 Protected Areas, making a total of 244 Protected Areas composed of about 7.8M hectares (107 legislated; 13 proclaimed; 124 remaining initial components). It will ensure that the current NIPAS and ENIPAS coverage is rationalized by maintaining and prioritizing those with high biodiversity values while providing appropriate governance regime for the protection of Key Biodiversity Areas (KBAs) such as through Local Conservation Areas (LCAs) with the LGU concerned and through Indigenous Community Conserved Areas (ICCAs).
Management of Coastal and Marine Resources/Areas
This program focuses on the sustainable management of coral reefs, sea grass beds, mangrove stands, soft bottom areas (mudflats), plankton community, and water quality of coastal areas. These coastal ecosystems are important in the completion of life cycles of a wide variety of commercially and ecologically important marine life which support livelihood for nearly 60% of Filipinos. Under this Program is the Coastal and Marine Ecosystems Management Program (CMEMP) pursuant to DENR Administrative Order 2016-26 which aims to achieve the effective management of the country’s coastal and marine ecosystems thereby increasing their ability to provide ecological goods and services to improve the quality of life of the coastal population particularly ensuring food security, climate change resiliency and disaster risk reduction. It also contributes to the achievement of the PDP and PBSAP targets including international commitments such as the Aichi Targets and the UN Sustainable Development Goals (Goal 14 – Life below Water).
Protection and Conservation of Wildlife
This program deals with the conservation and protection of wildlife, and/or maintenance, restoration, and enhancement of their habitats pursuant to Republic Act 9147 or the Wildlife Resources Conservation and Protection Act of 2001. Priority activities under this program are the following: (i) Sustainable wildlife resource use; (ii) management of invasive alien species (IAS); and (iii) Enforcement of wildlife laws, rules and regulations which include the operations/mobilization of Wildlife Traffic Monitoring Units (WTMUs); deputation and mobilization of Wildlife Enforcement Officers (WEOs); operations and maintenance of Wildlife Rescue Centers (WRCs); establishment and management of Critical Habitats; and conservation of threatened wildlife species such as, but not limited to, the marine turtle, dugong (Dugong dugon), tamaraw (Bubalus mindorensis), Philippine eagle (Pithecophaga jefferyi), freshwater and saltwater crocodiles (Crocodylus mindorensis; Crocodylus porosus), tarsier (Carlito syrichta), Philippine cockatoo (Cacatua haematuropygia), and Visayan spotted deer (Rusa alfredi).
Latest News and Events
- Socio-Cultural Mapping and Documentation of ASEAN Heritage Parks in the Philippines
- Inception Meeting for the implementation of the “Ensuring Benefits from Peatlands through Protection and Wise-Use” (ESBenePeat) Project
- The Biodiversity Management Bureau joins the countrywide Campaign to End Violence Against Women (VAW) CY2022
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) presents the International Consortium on Combating Wildlife Crime (ICCWC) Wildlife and Forest Crime Analytic Toolkit Report in the Philippines
- CMEMP and the HGDG: Marrying Gender Diversity and Biodiversity
- DENR commits support in proper accounting of country’s natural resources
- ABS Project Stakeholders Convened to Revise Regulations on Access and Benefit Sharing of Philippine Genetic Resources
- Environment champions awarded as 2022 ASEAN Biodiversity Heroes
- GIS Training for Peatland Mapping in the Philippines held on 3-4 November 2022
- BMB Leads the Conduct of Inter Agency Workshops in Preparation to the 19th Meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES COP19)
- Strengthened Wildlife Law should be 18th Congress’ legacy
- DENR-BMB renews call for stronger measures to combat illegal wildlife trade
- United States Helps Bolster Philippines’ Capacity to Combat Wildlife Crime
- #TogetherForTamaraws Campaign Launched to Help Tamaraw Rangers...
Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora
- Month-long transcontinental operation hit wildlife criminals hard
- Transportation mode of Napoleon Fish (Cheilinus undulatus) export from Indonesia
Convention on Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals
- UN Initiative to Establish a Global Atlas on Animal Migration Sets Milestone with Launch of New Bird Migration Atlas
- Scientific Task Force on Avian Influenza and Wild Birds Issues Recommendations
- World Migratory Bird Day on 9 October Celebrates Birds and Nature
- CMS Scientific Body Adopts Ambitious Work Programme to Address Gr...
Convention on Biological Diversity
- Statement by Elizabeth Maruma Mrema. Executive Secretary. Convention on Biological Diversity, on the occasion of World Soil Day 2022
- Statement by Elizabeth Maruma Mrema. Executive Secretary. Convention on Biological Diversity, on the occasion of International Human Rights Day 2022
- Statement by Elizabeth Maruma Mrema. Executive Secretary. Convention on Bio...
Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services
- Call for nominations of experts and fellows (i.e., early career individuals) to participate in the methodological assessment of the impact and dependence of business on biodiversity and nature’s contributions to people
- Call for nomination of experts by 13 September 2021 to participate in the nexus assessment...
- Risk Guidance on Reducing Spillback on Monkeypox Virus from Humans to Wildlife, Pet Animals and Other Animals by World Organisation for Animal Health
- Public Advisory on the recently reported cases of Monkeypox in US, Canada and United Kingdom
- Public Advisory on Avian Inlfluen...