DENR order sets biodiversity protection measures in mining operations
A huge lagoon of copper mine tailings are impounded in containment area that used to be an open pit mine of the Marcopper Mining Corporation in this town in central Marinduque island 30 March 1996. The waste pit said to contain about 30 million tons of copper mine waste spilled through a sealed underground tunnel into Boac river 24 March killing all aquatic life. AFP/Romeo Gacad
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Environment and Natural Resources issued an order providing measures to protect and conserve terrestrial and marine biodiversity in all stages of mining operations.
In a release Tuesday, the DENR said acting environment chief Jim Sampulna signed Administrative Order 2022-04 or the “Enhancing Biodiversity Conservation in Mining Operations.”
Three Major Programs
Protected Area Development and Management
This Program covers the main in-situ measures to conserve biodiversity within and adjacent to protected areas pursuant to Republic Act 7586 or the National Integrate Protected Areas System (NIPAS) Act of 1992 as amended by Republic Act 11038 or the Expanded NIPAS (ENIPAS) Act f 2018. The passage also led to the legislation of additional 94 Protected Areas, making a total of 244 Protected Areas composed of about 7.8M hectares (107 legislated; 13 proclaimed; 124 remaining initial components). It will ensure that the current NIPAS and ENIPAS coverage is rationalized by maintaining and prioritizing those with high biodiversity values while providing appropriate governance regime for the protection of Key Biodiversity Areas (KBAs) such as through Local Conservation Areas (LCAs) with the LGU concerned and through Indigenous Community Conserved Areas (ICCAs).
Management of Coastal and Marine Resources/Areas
This program focuses on the sustainable management of coral reefs, sea grass beds, mangrove stands, soft bottom areas (mudflats), plankton community, and water quality of coastal areas. These coastal ecosystems are important in the completion of life cycles of a wide variety of commercially and ecologically important marine life which support livelihood for nearly 60% of Filipinos. Under this Program is the Coastal and Marine Ecosystems Management Program (CMEMP) pursuant to DENR Administrative Order 2016-26 which aims to achieve the effective management of the country’s coastal and marine ecosystems thereby increasing their ability to provide ecological goods and services to improve the quality of life of the coastal population particularly ensuring food security, climate change resiliency and disaster risk reduction. It also contributes to the achievement of the PDP and PBSAP targets including international commitments such as the Aichi Targets and the UN Sustainable Development Goals (Goal 14 – Life below Water).
Protection and Conservation of Wildlife
This program deals with the conservation and protection of wildlife, and/or maintenance, restoration, and enhancement of their habitats pursuant to Republic Act 9147 or the Wildlife Resources Conservation and Protection Act of 2001. Priority activities under this program are the following: (i) Sustainable wildlife resource use; (ii) management of invasive alien species (IAS); and (iii) Enforcement of wildlife laws, rules and regulations which include the operations/mobilization of Wildlife Traffic Monitoring Units (WTMUs); deputation and mobilization of Wildlife Enforcement Officers (WEOs); operations and maintenance of Wildlife Rescue Centers (WRCs); establishment and management of Critical Habitats; and conservation of threatened wildlife species such as, but not limited to, the marine turtle, dugong (Dugong dugon), tamaraw (Bubalus mindorensis), Philippine eagle (Pithecophaga jefferyi), freshwater and saltwater crocodiles (Crocodylus mindorensis; Crocodylus porosus), tarsier (Carlito syrichta), Philippine cockatoo (Cacatua haematuropygia), and Visayan spotted deer (Rusa alfredi).
Latest News and Events
- Government moves forward in strengthening access and benefit sharing of Philippine genetic resources
- Advocacy for Responsible Mining pushed during the Orientation on DENR Administrative Order No. 2022-04: Enhancing Biodiversity Conservation and Protection in Mining Operations
- Advisory Program Highlights Great Potential for Inter-Agency Cooperation to End Wildlife Crime
- DENR-BMB and UNDP conducted a National Inception Workshop for the Access and Benefit Sharing Project
- Philippine Eagle Week 2022
- Philippines’ Protected Areas take center stage on the International Day for Biological Diversity celebration
- DENR order sets biodiversity protection measures in mining operations
- Oh, My GAD! A Webinar on GAD Concepts on Women’s Empowerment and GAD-Related Laws
- International Women’s Day and National Women’s Day Celebration Indak ni Juan at Juana: Fun Walk and Physical Fitness Activity CY 2022
- BMB Conducts Training on ArcGIS Survey123 for Survey Form Creation, Dashboard Development and ITS Analysis
- Strengthened Wildlife Law should be 18th Congress’ legacy
- DENR-BMB renews call for stronger measures to combat illegal wildlife trade
- United States Helps Bolster Philippines’ Capacity to Combat Wildlife Crime
- #TogetherForTamaraws Campaign Launched to Help Tamaraw Rangers...
Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora
- Month-long transcontinental operation hit wildlife criminals hard
- Transportation mode of Napoleon Fish (Cheilinus undulatus) export from Indonesia
Convention on Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals
- UN Initiative to Establish a Global Atlas on Animal Migration Sets Milestone with Launch of New Bird Migration Atlas
- Scientific Task Force on Avian Influenza and Wild Birds Issues Recommendations
- World Migratory Bird Day on 9 October Celebrates Birds and Nature
- CMS Scientific Body Adopts Ambitious Work Programme to Address Gr...
Convention on Biological Diversity
- Statement by Elizabeth Maruma Mrema, Executive Secretary, Convention on Biological Diversity, on the occasion of World Soil Day 2021
- Statement by Elizabeth Maruma Mrema Executive Secretary, Convention on Biological Diversity on the occasion of World Cities Day 2021
- Statement by Elizabeth Maruma Mrema ExecutiveSecretary, Convention on Biological Diver...
Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services
- Call for nomination of experts by 13 September 2021 to participate in the nexus assessment and in the transformative change assessment
- Extension of the review period of the study on the use and impact of the IPBES conceptual framework to 30 September 2021
- Reminder: Review of the second order draft of the chapt...
- Public Advisory on the recently reported cases of Monkeypox in US, Canada and United Kingdom
- Public Advisory on Avian Inlfluenza Virus as confirmed by Department of Agriculture Memorandum Circular No. 6, Series of 2022
- Public Advisory on Health and Safety of our Clients and E...