Contest Title: Selfie for Biodiversity and Sustainable Tourism
“Biodiversity and Sustainable Tourism”
The, Biodiversity Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR-BMB)together with the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, holds its fourth national photo competition, challenging everyone to capture scenes showing efforts to conserve biodiversity and how biodiversity is connected to sustainable tourism.
Biodiversity is the resource upon which sustainable tourism flourishes in. According to the Convention on Biological Diversity, biodiversity, at the level of species and ecosystems, provides an important foundation for many aspects of tourism. The contest aims to raise awareness and action towards the important contribution of sustainable tourism both to economic growth and to the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity.
Entries must tell a story on how biodiversity and sustainable tourism are linked by showing efforts in protecting biodiversity through promoting sustainable tourism.
Entries may also be an action photo that showcases commitments, efforts, or campaigns to protect biodiversity, whether they are massive efforts or simple ones. Photos may cover aspects such as animal, forest and water protection, eco-tours, or other topics related to the theme.
Winning entries must be memorable, creative, and inspiring.
A. RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. The photo contest is open to all photography-loving individuals residing in the Philippines, male or female, aged 13 and up. The theme of the contest is “Biodiversity and Sustainable Tourism.”
2. Participants may join either on Facebook or Instagram. They must like the Biodiversity Challenge Facebook page and Instagram account before submitting their ‘selfie’ or a ‘groupie’ photo.
3. Submit a photo taken from any medium: point and shoot camera, mobile device, DSLR, tablet, iPad, GoPro, etc.
4. Photos on Facebook must be uploaded with the HD setting turned on.
5. Entries must capture/highlight any of the following:
- Beauty and uniqueness of the country’s biodiversity
- Activities that contribute to protect it
- Biodiversity and its connection to sustainable tourism
6. Entries must include
- Short description with the subject of the photo (as a title)
- Short narrative (about 100 words) on what biodiversity means to the person, how Filipinos can help conserve the Philippines’ rich biodiversity and contribute to the country’s development, how the action can inspire others, and a behind-the-scenes story on how the photo was taken.
7. Subjects must be on Philippine biodiversity and include unique plants and/or animals, whether on land, in fresh water, in the ocean, or special places (wildlife habitats, protected areas, caves, lakes, or rivers).
8. Participants may send as many entries as they can but may only win once.
9. Photos must be taken over the past year, or from the close of the Selfie for Biodiversity event in May 2016. Previous entries are disqualified.
10. Contest organizers hold the right to use submitted photos in its publications, presentations, video productions, and other similar materials necessary for the implementation of its programs and projects on biodiversity. Due credit, however, will be given to the author every time the photo is used.
11. Submission of entries is from May 5, 2017 to noon of May 17, 2017 only. All entries should be sent via Instagram or Facebook.
12. Winners will be notified via direct message. They must send their contact details and e-mail address within 10 days.
13. No digital manipulation will be allowed; enhancements may only be limited to cropping, enhanced lenses, as well as color and digital retouching. Entries found to have been digitally-manipulated using Photoshop or other photo editing software will automatically be disqualified.
14. Employees of BMB and GIZ are disqualified to join the competition.
15. Winners from previous years are no longer eligible to enter the contest.
We are giving away an exciting prize to the winner:
GRAND PRIZE: Round trip airfare and accommodation
for two to any of the protected area or biodiversity area under the jurisdiction of the DENR-BMB or a project site of GIZ-PAME Project, except the Islands of Batanes. (For a complete list of protected areas and key biodiversity areas, click: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B27p-PoO0vdPQmlNN3NzOGktX0U
A panel of judges composed of a veteran photographer and executives from the DENR-BMB and GIZ will select the winners after a thorough screening and pre-selection of entries. The decision of the board of judges will be final and binding.
The finalists and winning entries will be shown in a photo exhibit during the First National Biodiversity Congress in Crowne Plaza Galleria, Ortigas Center, Pasig City on May 22-24, 2017. They will also be posted online via the GIZ Philippines and the Pacific Facebook page and https://www.facebook.com/biodiversi... https://www.instagram.com/selfiefor...
and other related links.
The winners will be notified via email, phone call, or registered mail. Prizes can be claimed at the GIZ-BMUB office located at DENR-BMB, Ninoy Aquino Parks and Wildlife Center, North Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City within sixty (60) days from receipt of notification.
Prizes not claimed within the said period shall be forfeited in favor of GIZ. To claim their respective prizes, winners must present 2 valid government-issued ID’s (Current School ID, Driver’s License, Official Company ID, copy of Passport, Postal ID, SSS ID, BIR ID, Barangay ID, Voter’s ID, GSIS E-card, Senior Citizen’s ID, NBI/Police Clearance, etc.) and a printed copy of their winning entries.
By joining the contest, participants irrevocably grant to DENR and GIZ all rights to the entries, including rights to reproduce, publish, exhibit, and use the entries in any manner or format for any marketing, promotions, auction, broadcast advertising, programming, charitable purposes, commercials and publicity, in any and all forms of media worldwide in perpetuity, and without compensation or considerations, and without additional consent from the participants or from any third party.
In submitting entries, participants expressly consent, assign, waive, and concede any and all rights of ownership over the same in favor of DENR and GIZ. DENR and GIZ, however, shall acknowledge the name of the participants when reproducing, publishing, auctioning, broadcasting, and using the entries.
For further inquiries, please feel free to contact the following:
DENR-Biodiversity Management Bureau, Ninoy Aquino Parks and Wildlife Center, North Avenue, 1100, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines